They say that confession is good for the soul so here goes. Over the past few months, I have been seriously delinquent in posting to this blog and for that I ask your forgiveness. While I've kept up with some other commitments, it seemed like I never had time to post here. Well, I'm back. New year, fresh commitment.
As I asked the Lord what He wanted me to focus on in this new series of blog posts, I was quite surprised with His answer: 'Share from your own journal.'
Initially I was aghast and thought, 'My journal? My personal journal, Lord? That's just between me and You!' But after struggling with it for a couple of days, I believe that's what He wants so here goes. The date you'll see on each of these, will be the date on which I wrote in my journal what I sensed the Lord saying to me at that time. I pray you will be blessed.
Early February, 2017
Matthew 5: 14 'You are the light of the world...' In the Greek, the word translated 'you' literally means 'you and you alone'. So this is a very personal exhortation to each individual disciple of the Lord. It is spoken to simple and entirely unimportant people from the world's point of view. It's to 'you and you alone.' That means me.
This implies that:
(1) the world is in darkness though claiming to be 'enlightened'. Though there has been an incredible advancement of knowledge, yet most people still have no true understanding of what LIFE really is. And when we don't know what to do with the knowledge we have, it becomes a source of tragedy producing broken relationships with God and with man. Paul said it this way: 'Knowledge makes arrogant but love edifies.' When knowledge makes us feel superior, we lose the ability to love our fellow man as we have been commanded to do. 'You are the light...'
(2) it is a disciple of Christ who can impart truly helpful advice and understanding. It is not more 'knowledge for knowledge's sake' that improves society but the knowledge of God and His Word. "You are the light...'
(3) you, My daughter and every Christian with a living relationship with Me, understands more about life than the greatest 'expert'. For since in the wisdom of God the world through its knowledge did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
I Cor. 1:21
The same Jesus Who declared 'You are the light...' also said, "I am the Light of the World." These two statements are inseparable for He that follows Me shall not walk in darkness but have the light of life. John 8:12
What does light do?
(1) It exposes the darkness and what is hidden in the darkness until the light appears. You, My child, are a light switched on by the Holy Spirit. Lights don't talk; they don't make a sound. They simply reveal what was not seen before. Your influence as My disciple is to expose what belongs to darkness. I did that and they hated Me for it.
The condemnation of the world is this: Light came into the world but men loved darkness rather than light because their deeds were evil. John 3:19
(2) But realize, light not only exposes the darkness but - good news - it shows the way out of it! So let your light shine that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. Matt. 5:16.
Your example gives the unbeliever a look into what can be. People who never read a Bible read you - what are they learning?
A lamp in ancient times had two essential elements - oil and a wick. To keep the lamp burning, oil was not enough. You had to keep trimming the wick.
You are the wick! By disciplining your flesh so that your character causes you to become more like Me, your light will shine brighter and brighter.
Let your light shine!
I'll be posting a series of these until the Lord tells me to stop.
If you're blessed, want to comment or ask a question,
I welcome you to contact me.